Mouthguard’s during Orthodontic treatment
A common question we get from our patients is, ‘Do I have to wear a mouthguard?’ and our answer is always the same, Absolutely!!
The next most common question is, ‘How? I have Braces!?’
Well here are the answers to all the questions you may have when it comes to Mouthguards and orthodontic treatment!
- Yes, you can wear and should be wearing a Mouthguard when you have Braces on.
- No, don’t spend the money on a customised Mouthguard when your undergoing orthodontic treatment. It would be a waste of time and money, your teeth are constantly changing throughout your treatment, meaning that your mouthguard wouldn’t fit for very long.
- What Mouthguard is the best then? We recommend the remouldable mouthguard by Elastoplast. This mouthguard is clear and can be remoulded multiple times just by placing it in boiling water. Each time you go to wear it, you simply place it in boiling water before putting it in. This way you are sure to have a great fit every time, no matter how fast your teeth are moving!
- Are you in Invisalign treatment? That’s okay too, we have you sorted. When it comes to Invisalign treatment you need to be wearing your Aligners for 22 hours a day. So, we advise our patients that if they prefer to wear a mouthguard when playing sport, take the length of the game into consideration so you can be sure you’re not without your Aligners for too long.
- Playing sport multiple times a week with Invisalign treatment? That’s okay, the best option, simply continue wearing your Aligners during the game! Your Invisalign clear aligners will work like a mouthguard if you were to have an accident. Your aligners will help protect your teeth from too much trauma and are most definitely better then wearing nothing at all!!
- Remouldable mouthguards and Invisalign treatment, your aligners fit so closely to your teeth that for even more protection you could choose to wear a remouldable mouthguard over your aligners. It’s important to remember though that you don’t want the mouthguard to be too boiling when inserting it over your aligners. You don’t want to remould them at the same time!
Another helpful tip, It’s a good idea to have an adult help you out when it comes to handling boiling water.