Retainer wear after orthodontic treatment
The Retention stage of treatment is simply the period of time in which you are wearing your retainers.
Retainers are designed to hold your teeth in place.
FACT: Teeth are always moving so it is important that we remind them where to stay!
At the time of your retainer insert, Dr Scott will advise you of how often you are to wear your retainers for. Once you have entered the retention stage of treatment, you will be monitored for up to 2 years, checking retainer wear every 3-6 months.
The basic outline of retainer wear;
- Initially you are to wear your retainers full-time for the first 6 weeks, after 6 weeks of fulltime wear, all day and all night, you may then go to night wear.
- We advise our patients to wear their retainers every night and eventually can cut down to every second night.
- Every patient and case is different, so it is important to make note of the instructions given to you at the time of insert to assure you are wearing your retainers correctly.
- Not wearing your retainers could lead to your teeth shifting and in some cases can lead to needing orthodontic treatment all over again!
- If you break or lose your retainers be sure to contact our reception staff as soon as possible so we can arrange a time to make new ones for you. The sooner we can take impressions for you, the sooner your new retainers will be ready so your teeth won’t have a chance to move.
- EverSmile WhiteFoam is a great product that can be used as part of your daily oral hygiene routine. EverSmile WhiteFoam will keep your retainers feeling and looking fresh over the years that you may be wearing them for.